I’m not a huge soup fan because I get tired of it very quickly but I happen to love lentils and love this soup. This recipe actually came from The Food Network and I had to share it. It’s vegetarian and has a lot of health benefits!
- 1 pound French green lentils
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large onions)
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)
- 3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheeseIn a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
In a large stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Check the seasonings. Add the red wine and serve hot, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with grated Parmesan.
1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved
Read the original recipe here.
The Health Benefits
- They help lower cholesterol
- Hight in fiber = health digestion
- Keep your heart healthy
- Great source of protein
- Increased energy from iron
- Low in calories with barely any fat
- High in Vitamin K (prevents blood clots, builds strong bones and prevents heart disease)
- High in Vitamin A
- Healthy amounts of folic acid
- Magnesium for healthy bones
The rest of the recipe is full of items we use every day and are more familiar with. Carrots, celery and garlic all have major health benefits. This soup fills me up without feeling heavy and I really enjoyed it.
Tell me about your favorite recipes in the comments!